In Honor of Mothers
by Hannah the Zebra
Here in the States it is Mother’s Day. But I want to expand the definition of what it is to be a mother. You fulfill a mothering role if
- You are the beloved Aunt or Grandmother helping to raise a child
- You are that favorite teacher to whom a child turns when their home life is in chaos
- You are a foster mother, adoptive, or step mother
I want to especially wish a Happy Mother’s Day to those whose
- Children are far flung and none of them are able to spend time with you today or call
- Children have predeceased you, and people are afraid to wish you a happy Mother’s Day because they don’t want to bring up painful memories
I want also to acknowledge mothers whose children are critically ill.
And I want to add to this list perhaps the most forgotten category
- Mothers whose child was born still, died shortly after birth, or was born too early to survive. To you, especially, I want to acknowledge that you, also, are mothers.
I want to honor each of you, wish you the best, and offer a collage of virtual bouquets.
All Images were taken at our wonderful local flower shop on Grand Avenue in Oakland, California. It is an oasis of calm, and has the comforting feel of a French flower shop.